Monday, April 30, 2007

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and Ralph Waldo Emerson


Why is it that children are to bee seen and not heard?
Why do we chastise a child for telling someone they had a big nose? They are just being honest. I wish I had that kind of blunt honesty.
When I was little I wanted to be a painter. But as I grew up, I realized I couldn’t paint. So I decided not to be a painter.
Society trains every ounce of originality out of you as you get older. It tells you what is right, what is wrong, and how you are supposed to act.
Society sets its standards, and then we are told that we must live by them.
Society says my paintings are bad, so I stop painting, and peruse something else.
How do we know that everything we thought as a child isn't true? How do we know that our imaginary friend that had purple wings and three arms wasn't real? What if as children we are untainted, untouched enough to be able to communicate with another dimension, another realm?
Again, I ask, why are children thought as naive, unintelligent things that are to me molded to fit what we think they should be?

No comments: