Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I got a flask inside my pocket, we can share it on the train.

You know what I hate? People who think that any music that is popular or mainstream is bad. And if I said right now "Hey I want to listen to some Beyonce." Well you know what most of my little "indie" friends would say? They'd say I was lame. But you know what, I like Beyonce. She's an incredible singer, so why can't I appreciate her for it? The only way I could "get away with" listening to Beyonce is if I were to refer to her as my "guilty pleasure." Why do I have to feel "guilty" about the music I like?
This thing about losing all cred if you like mainstream music is also true of bands that used to be obscure, but are now very popular. Case in point, Bright Eyes. I love Bright Eyes, and I know a lot of people who liked them too. Those same people now claim to hate them just because they have been getting airtime on the radio.
This is absurd to me because it just doesn't make any sense, no matter how you look at it. On one hand, they may now be undesirable because they are "popular" or they "sold out." but c'mon, they are still the SAME BAND. Bright Eyes hasn't changed their style, they have just experienced success. And I think liking a band simply because no one knows who they are is really ridiculous. How can you honestly base a band's merit upon whether or not you can get their cd at Best Buy? Do people really feel cooler because their favorite band's new album can only be bought at the small hole in the wall record store in a hidden alley on 5th Street?


Oh, and by the way, I want to get into Alex from Ima Robot's white MC Hammer pants. Bad.



No comments: