Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Burn, piano island, burn.



December will bring much joy and happiness for yours truly. Oh yes, it is the time of giving, the time of joy, the time of peace and hope... But for me, it is the time I will see The Blood Brothers and The Flaming Lips live in the same month. How excited am I? Oh, the words could not express. (**Note to self, stop using the interjection 'oh'.)


The Blood Brothers absorbed much of my Sophomore year. I have fond memories of Brittany and I dancing and thrashing around like maniacs in my bedroom, screaming along to "Trash Flavored Trash." We especially enjoyed the part that went "There's a girl in a cage making love to a switchblade." We thought we were the shit. And then I discovered Burn, Piano Island, Burn, which I currently maintain as the best Blood Brothers album to date. I especially love listening to the track from which the album gets its name. And others like "Celia" and "Ambulance, Ambulance" are also great. I honestly can say that I have never heard a band like them before. The Blood Brothers have their own unique sound. From the high pitched screeching vocals, to the lower sing/talking ones, The Blood Brothers fucking own. I mean, how many bands have two lead singers? I'm sure a lot more than I am aware of, but I am also sure they don't jam as much as The mutherfucking Blood Brothers. Anyways, i am seeing them, along with And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead at The Fillmore in San Francisco on December 5th.




As for The Flaming Lips, oh god, what could I say? I remember the first time I ever heard them. I was about 7 or 8 years old and I saw Batman Forever. During the scene where the soon-to-be-Riddler is trying to find an alter ego for himself, "Bad Days" plays. Yes, it was the first time I ever heard The Lips. A few years later, when I was much older and more mature (14) I heard "Do You Realize?" and I was hooked for life. I saw a few music videos, and I was determined that The Flaming Lips was a band I must see live before I died. And now, Finally, on December 30th, a New Years Eve Eve bash, I will dress as a space alien (because we are cool like that) with my lovely boyfriend Hunter and head to the Bill Gram Civic Auditorium with a caravan of people to see this most amazing band live. All I can say is that they better play "She Don't Use Jelly."




Oh, and I think this girl named Blaire Bridges is amazing. I mean, anyone who can put up with my shit for as long as she has MUST be. She loves me, and I certainly love her. Yes.

Wow. I'm surprised you read to the end.
"Were it not for music, we might in these days say, the Beautiful is dead." -Benjamin Disraeli

1 comment:

Mario Landeros said...

One of my favorite concert moments is watching Wayne Coyne being batted around in a huge inflatable ball. It was amazing! Hope you have fun.