Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Of life and rollercoasters (drain the blood)


Right now there's this feeling in my stomach. It's like the kind that you get at the top of a rollercoaster. Just as you go over the highest point, but just before you actually begin to fall. There's the anticipation, the waiting, and then there's the fear, the fear that tells you that it's all over, you're definitely going to crash and burn. But there's also hope and faith, you are pretty sure that you'll stay on the track, buckled down into your seat. So because of that reassurance, you decide what the hell, I'll lift my hands up in the air and enjoy the ride.

I don't know how many times a rollercoaster has been compared to life. Probably enough times to make it one of the most trite metaphors that has ever made it's way out of my mouth, or in this case, from my fingertips. But this is how I feel. For some reason it hit me today that this is the rest of my life, this is just before my freefall. I can either let go and enjoy the ride, or I can close my eyes and scream the whole time. And even if I crash, the restraints break, at least I know I got on and tried.

So here's to lifting my hands to the air, and to not letting anyone hold me back.

No comments: